In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Lincoln, Maine

A Town of Hearty, Resilient Souls

Post Office, Lincoln, Built in 1856

Contributed by Lincoln Historical Society
MMN Item 33321 Item Details
Post Office, Lincoln, Built in 1856
MMN Item 33321 Zoom


The Lincoln Post Office was in the Plumly Building, a three story building built in 1856 on the corner lot of lower Main Street. David S. Plumly had it built following a fire which destroyed his store in the same location in 1842. He ran a general store during his lifetime and passed it down to his son Charles F. afterward. The other part of the building was occupied by Harrison Piper, who had a jewelry store there for thirty years. Mr. Plumly was interested in lumbering and owned the mills at Cold Stream (Hubbard's Mills). He was a Justice of the Peace, a Selectman, the Deputy Sheriff in 1852 and Assistant Assessor of Internal Revenue during the Civil War.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.